Tuesday, 3 November 2009

Rock Sense: POEM

I swam through waves of dishonour to sleep with you
the slime getting caught in my hair
and then it scaled my face and I lost my sight
and yet still I swam to you

Over the end and at the edge of the pier
splinters ran through my feet
and when waving people ran for the guard
still I sat for you

White birds blasted,
their freedom cocky and sure,
and they screeched and laughed at the flightless sea lover
and as I chewed I spewed
my fingers bleeding
turning the blue sea mauve

Sucking over the wounds I trawled the shore
beating some pebbles to death

I was watched by British fools out for the day
stolid homely husbands complete in cheap clothes
putting up with dear wifey for the day

I swam through waves of dishonour because I liked your body and temper
but then waves travelled
taking me down
till I hit my head on some rock sense
and my eyes were bleached open
but smarted in agony
at a love deaded by drowning




Angela Norris

No comments: