Henry was sweating. In the dark. God it was dark in his room.
His face a huge mound of pain and perspiration. He thinks a pacemaker is on the cards. I think so too.
We sat in the kitchen and talked and joked about chests and death and Christmas and sex. And after literally wiping his brow with a cool kitchen towel I cooked some food, just some eggs and little bacon but how he woofed it down. Tea was sunk by the gallon and the talk continued.
He thinks I should move in with him, just to keep the cats happy. I slapped his hand and rattled on about storms and poetry and bad light.
After two hours of chit chat he wanted to change the wall light bulbs in the front room, so up on to the settee I clambered. And what a difference it's made. Not only have I binned the dreadful shades but the new bulbs have shone a sweeter light onto the beams. Much better. Much brighter. Henry was ecstatic as perspiration poured from his forehead down into the creases on his face. For a minute I was worried, I thought he might collapse, but after a further swipe from a wet cloth he cheered up and grabbed my hands.
"Come and live with me" he said.
I know I'm a caring person who can cook but I think he's taking his love of Apple fingers way too seriously.
During one of our quiet moments, I boxed with Blackie and came away with a ladder in me tights, and Henry sat looking at me like he'd never seen me before, meanwhile Goldilocks sat looking out of the now net free windows completely unaware of the intense situation which was unravelling.
"You can have the downstairs room Angie" he said as I studied the hole in the tights "I'll even throw in a Teasmade".
I laughed, said no, and poked him with a teaspoon.
And how the wind howled and roared whilst the crashing rain ruined my nice clean windows but
after saying bye bye to the cats I said bye bye to Henry. And left him shining brilliantly in his well lit room.
Tuesday, 24 November 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment