
After work I felt like walking.
So coatless I stepped up the hilly road all the way to the funny little pet shop opposite the playing fields. In front of me on my glorious amble were five, half pint schoolboys one of which was being dragged by a mud coloured dog. The dog was a gentle brute with a shining coat and big stupid ears, I don't know what make of dog it was but his wagging tail and floppy tongue made me laugh.
After handing over £2 for 4lbs of bird seed I walked out into the late afternoon sunshine. And all of a sudden I had the urge for alcohol. But being a bit broke I couldn't drop in the local tavern so I suffered all the way home.
Passing The Victory Inn was a nightmare, there were two lads leaning on a railing each holding a glass of ale and so I averted my gaze just in case they thought I was after them. I wasn't of course, I'm married and my backs playing up so... Anyway the sun was making me squint and the dribble of traffic on the Ashingdon Road was being held up on account of some nitwit being absurdly badly parked outside the sweet shop.
My turning was coming and the weight of the seeds was making me sweat, so I glanced up at the perfect sky, quickly shut my eyes and then took a big breath. In Obamaesque style I thought "I can do this" as my shoulder joints almost dislocated. I'd had a tiring day, I was up a ladder a lot of the time and had to do things with kippers so why I thought I could lug bags of budgie grub about, I just don't know.
Stupid. That's what I can be.
I limped along, occasionally glancing into neighbour's gardens and wondering where on earth they get the time, energy and money to create such Edens.
My bungalow couldn't come quickly enough and as I chucked the bags down I sneered at two fence lounging pigeons and thought "All this I do for you and what do I get?" "Pooh pooh on me Sweet Peas"
On the Horsehound menu tonight Beef Casserole and giant Dumplings
Chocolate Ice Cream
Then early night.
No comments:
Post a Comment