Thursday, 23 April 2009

St George's day


Dearest England
How I love you.

You with your parish councils and curries.
With castles and caravans.
You with the world banging on your door.
How I love you.


England my dearest, how did you claim my heart?
Was it your tendency to care for the world’s dispossessed?
Or just your eagerness to embrace mediocre celebrities?

A little of both I suppose.

Your history might have something to do with my adoration of you.
Wasn't it you my dear one, who gifted the world some of its greatest inventions?
The jet engine, the web and The Beatles.


Don’t forget Shakespeare and Churchill?
They had a thing or two to say.

You my England with your bowler hats, flat caps and mini skirts.
Bedfordshire clangers and the Debden Chocolate Pudding (invented by an Essex lady)
All these things and many more carry your signature

Well blow me down you even gave me the footie.
And that’s why I love you, you crazy old girl.


You're a fine creature with a magnificent history whose mighty strength saved the world
Perpetually heroic.
Can you see my tears?

Your willingness to accept time’s inevitable make-over is admirable, even though we, the people who love you, want you to remain unchanged.
You're looking a bit frazzled now, and there's a hair or two out of place but your battle-scarred face remains a picture of unwavering serenity.
I could look at you forever

And my darling sweetheart there's no-one I'd rather cuddle up with when I feel lost, lone and afraid. I couldn’t feel safer.
And if you need me there’s no-one I’d rather die for because I’m never happier than in your jewel-bedecked arms.

My Dearest England how I love you.


Angela Norris.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

::clearing my throat::

God save our gracious Queen,
Long live our noble Queen,
God save the Queen!
Send her victorious,
Happy and Glorious,
Long to reign over us;
God save the Queen!

O Lord our God arise,
Scatter her enemies
And make them fall;
Confound their politics,
Frustrate their knavish tricks,
On Thee our hopes we fix,
Oh, save us all!

Thy choicest gifts in store
On her be pleased to pour;
Long may she reign;
May she defend our laws,
And ever give us cause
To sing with heart and voice,
God save the Queen!

Not in this land alone,
But be God's mercies known,
From shore to shore!
Lord make the nations see,
That men should brothers be,
And form one family,
The wide world over

From every latent foe,
From the assassins blow,
God save the Queen!
O'er her thine arm extend,
For Britain's sake defend,
Our mother, prince, and friend,
God save the Queen!

Not bad for a yank

Your faithful Duchess