It's misty outside and misty means we're in for smashing weather so I'm going to wear a flouncy skirt and fresh blouse to work. But before I do that, here are some more lists.
My favourite sandwiches
1. Chicken, sage and onion stuffing and redcurrant jelly. Only on a Sunday after I've had a kip. But I must have me crusts cut orf just like the other Queen.
2. Corned beef and Branston pickle. Much needed after testing the bike in the long grass. Thanks Ken.
3. Chicken, curried mayonnaise and mango chutney. White bread is essential for this. Please don't think of using just any old chutney, it's mango or nothing.
4. Tuna mayonnaise. First tried in Ponti's, a small Italian run cafe in Kensington. Ate there in the 1980's. I was young, richer and indestructible then, unlike now where I'm old, poor and falling to bits.
5. Smoked salmon. Only in pubs with men.
6. Roast beef. Ditto.
7. Strawberry jam and Nestlé cream. I know I know it sounds horrible, but it isn't...First tasted around 1968 in Beryl's house in Shepherds Bush. She was a friend of mums and an old Jehovah's Witness who tried to save me. Bless her. Still tastes good today even though I don't know any Beryls and have fallen by the wayside.
8. Sausage and fried onions. Possibly the greatest of them all. But the snorker must be excellent. The onions must be very dark brown and copious. Be mean with onions and you won't be welcome in my house.
My favourite casseroles
1. Beef stew and dumplings. Forever. Changed over the years, added stuff and removed stuff. But my suet dumplings remain the same. Large and plump. Could be hazardous to health but I'd rather die by dumplings than die by lettuce.
2. Latimer Beef. A spicy curry like dish. Often have Ms. Jaffrey's chapattis with this. This is what I call the crazed off spring of Madhur Jaffrey and Mary Berry. Two women cooks. Told you it was crazed.
3. Saturday Chicken. Odd but good. Packet of stuffing fused with cooking wine and jam. Heinous mix but so tasty with couscous and Harry Hill.
My favourite sweet things
1. Galaxy chocolate. A Sunday treat, whilst watching telly under a tartan car blanket. Simple pleasure.
2. Cadburys Creme Eggs. But only one at a time. Two look decidedly dodgy side by side.
3. Flake. Crumbly and makes a mess but taste excellent whilst laying down.
4. Bounty. Makes my teeth ache but only if I bite instead of suck.
5. Twix. Old favourite. Impossible to eat both biscuits at one sitting. Gluttony is bad.
7. KitKat. Two fingers only. Save the rest for later. Like 10 minutes later.
8. Steamed Puddings. Golden syrup pudding is great served with chocolate ice cream. Stupid but great.
9. Trifles. Strawberry is best. Mandarin a close second. But never use canned custard because only people without time use canned custard. If trifle sponges are unavailable a swiss roll is acceptable. But do use a quality one. Lidl swiss rolls are for desperate lonely people. But they're cheap.
10. Magnums. The emperors of the frozen world. Expensive ice cream for lovers. Or rich people. Or sexually active women lounging around in nighties on settees. I have a nightie.
Enough already.
Oh and I love bagels...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
I love your lists:
My favorite sandwiches
1. French dip. Thinly shaved roast beef on a toasted roll with swiss cheese, sauteed onions and or mushrooms dipped into a steaming cup of au jus. And a kosher pickle on the side.
2. Corned beef on pumpernickle with yellow mustard, horseradish sauce and pickles. And a pickle on the side.
3. A big juicy hamburger that's been grilled, not fried with American cheese, ketchup, mustard pickles, onions and green olives. Served with french fries (chips in your case). And a pickle on the side.
4. Tuna salad which is tuna mixed with mayo on white bread and then grilled with cheese. Also known as a tuna melt. And a pickle on the side.
My favorite casseroles
1. Chicken and dumplings. Nothing compares.
2. Tuna casserole. Made with tuna, cream of mushroom soup and noodles, a grated onion then topped with buttered bread crumbs and baked.
Beef stew and biscuits. Yummmmm.
I don't have much of a sweet tooth but warm brownies out of the oven send me over the moon.
Now I'm hungry. I'll have a pickle.
Your culinary Duchess
Thanks Duch. You've done it again...You've made me laugh...
"I'll have a pickle"
Post a Comment