Thursday, 19 July 2012

Another trip to Sainsburys and as I chose chops and bread flours and coffee and scented bleach I thought about mum, who when I left was sleepy and pale, now I'm home and she's still sleepy and her paleness, more so. But I'm hoping that she'll hear me as I clunk about setting up the ancient VHS machine so kindly given to me by an old good mate

I'm keen and desperate for mum and me to watch some old videos, possibly even persuading mum to eat something while we watch some Bette Davis flick. Or the life and times of super greedy Leona Helmsley who, as you might recall, was the rich tax dodging American, married to multi-millionaire Harry Helmsley who said "Only the little people pay taxes..." Well, I have the 1990 made for tv movie about her rise and fall. Helmsley is played excellently by Emmy nominated Suzanne Pleshette, the film is marvellous and I would love it if me and mum could watch it and chatter on about her wardrobe of beautiful clothes and how she managed to nab three husbands and a few hotels.
We'll see.....

Mums off her grub right now, wanting only tea and lots of it, but tonight I thought I'd open a can of corned beef and serve it up to her with some mash and salad. Corned Beef, you see, is friendly, a blast from our past when having a can of Frey Bentos was a treat. Any way I'll do my best to tempt her. God knows she needs a treat.
But God can't slice beef, only I can.
So in a tick, after I've unpacked the eco friendly shopping bags, I'll enter the dusty drawing room with the machine under my arm, fingers crossed she'll have something to say.

:)

4 comments:

Terry said...

So what is the trick of opening a can of corned beef? They can be deadly for cuts

Gloria Horsehound said...

Getting someone else to do it...

Terry said...

You live too far for me unfortunately!

Gloria Horsehound said...

Oh Terry what's a few dozen miles between mates..