I love cooking, not for myself, can barely rouse myself to knock up a sandwich, but for my friends, for them there's nothing I'd rather do.
Talking of nothing....
Nothing and I mean nothing gives me more satisfaction and happiness than making sure people I love are well fed and cared for.
Although I am guilty of going overboard especially where Mr Hairy Suit is concerned, he is one of my dearest most influential mates and for him I really push my culinary boat out.
Take last night for example, he joined Mr H and me fine self (and mother) for an evening corned beef quickie (his works tea break coinciding with dinnertime in the bungalow. But I was zonked so all I had to offer was cans...and a little fresh produce.
The corned beef was decent and went well with a bit o' salad and buttery new tatties and for pud I melted some dark chocolate mixed it with lightly whipped double cream and yoghurt then dropped a few crushed digestives on top then crowned it with half a fresh apricot. He, we loved it.
And as we ate I thought how happy I CAN be given the right company and dessert.
Today I'll be cavorting around with a few pork chops, mother not wanting them messed about with preferring insisting hers are roasted plainly... But for Mr H and myself I'll zhoo zhoo them up by braising them in canned tomatoes herbs onions red wine vinegar and brown sugar. They'll go very well with either couscous or simple mash.
For pud? A chocolate sponge probably although I'm leaning towards a lemon puddle.
Great news on the tv cooking front. The Great British Bake Off returns to BBC2 next month.. Yippee!
I'm baking some proper Irish Soda Bread soon. Soon meaning probably at the weekend along with an Orange Syrup cake I absolutely adore. Talking of adoration Mr Hairy Suit gave us a pear pie last night..it blew my mind. The milk pastry had me clapping and yammering like a demented monkey. It was fantastic. The boy can cook...
Now I must fly....
:)
Wednesday, 25 July 2012
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
You talk about the pleasure of feeding your friends but what about the pleasure you give for being such a good friend.That must be reognised as well
The mutual appreciation society lives. There's nothing wrong with plain simple honest, even out of tins, food, especially when prepared with loving care and attention, there's nothing better than that, beats any complicated, contrived fare any day. It's the love that makes it so good.
Glad simply to have been of service dear lady, the pie was a mere triffle in homage to your wonderful peachey delight
Never thought about that Terry, I guess I'm just too modest;)
Post a Comment