
Had a jolly good slow stroll around Sainsburys this morning getting stuff but also inspecting bottles and jars and cartons and packets, and I then realized I wasn't only in a supermarket I was in a busy gallery full of beautiful art.
Some of the olive oil labels, queer gear packets, beer labels and biscuit boxes are worthy of a home behind glass, such is the old time glamour and homespun beauty of these grocery collectables.
I was especially taken by the olive oil tins and bottles, so green so gold and so delicious to hold. Lovely. Was I tempted to indulge, yes but being more thrifty than stupid, I put into my trolley a simple small bottle of Sainsburys finest. But oh those big beautiful tins.....:)
Next up..... the beer aisle, where labels painted red and brown and royal blue, what their names were was of little importance to me, although 'Badger Fursty Ferret, Theakston's Old Peculiar Ale and Golden Sheep Ale had me giggling:)
I had nasty visions of a pair of old time sheep heading towards the abatoirr to be blended into a pint of wallop for a pair of wet trousered old geezers. Hope the bits get stuck in their dentures.
Other labels which took my mind away from the trolley of sustenance were... cheeses, the more expensive the cheese, the plainer the packaging, so little artistry there, just classy and natural Ghastly gluey cheesey items like 'dunkers' were aimed at the child's eye. Saturated blue with saturated fat I expect.
Had a rummage around the safe drink section and came to my favourite label of all time. The Tick Tock Tea Box.
The Queen of Labels. Very 1930's, very Miss Marple. Would be worth murdering my current lover just so I could offer the Scotland Yard Inspector a nice cup of tea....
No comments:
Post a Comment