Friday, 21 January 2011

Love...The only word

Had a wonderful happy day.

Dad fussed over everything especially his fluffy damp lettuce. And my moist Cherry cheesecake.
Mum wore a wild scarf and confessed her love for Noel Edmunds. She too ooohed over the cool creamy cake.
Ok, all was well.

Then after a machine-gun quick conversation regarding Alan Johnson and American Idol
I microwaved a yummy curry (800 cals) then shocked my tongue with an electricfied low fat apple and blackcurrant yoghurt. He. he, he!
The Lovelies plumped for beef salad.

Tea flowed, likewise Cappucinos and Tangos. Water was mentioned.

As mumsie didn't feel like traipsing around the shops I traipsed alone.
Not the same, not the same at all.

It's the little, almost insignificant things which show how valuable and how loved and wanted a person is. Little things like four hands rifling through a big box of handbags and saying "£20? they must be mental" and upturning bowls to check the maker,"Made in China, chipped yeah but it'll be perfect for holding lemons" flicking through hardbacks, "What do you think, is it worth £3?
"Who cares, get it"
And other natterings like that.
Doing it alone removes the icing on a very simple cake.

Then up to Boots the chemist.

Wandering up and down the aisles stopping to survey the dainty jars, gold topped pots and splashy splash stuff. If mumsie had been on my arm we'd have sprayed Ice Musk body spray into the air, then the Mango, then, before we got caught, Vanilla. But I just dropped the Ice Musk into my basket and went hairwards...

A tiny gold brush joined the body spray, then, to control my wispy bits, twenty silver coloured kirby grips. Usually mum and me dawdle dangerously around the make-up counters using the 'testers' with glee. Here goes a typical conversation...
"Too pasty"
"Oh my God I love this!"
"Bourjois is so gorgeous but Rimmel's cheaper"
"Can you see a kajal stick in brown?
"Got one in Kingfisher, what dya think?"

And on and on and on for a good twenty minutes:)

So...with my very light basket I forced myself onto Adrian. Lovely lovely very tall Adrian. "Do you have an Advantage Card Madam?" (That does it every time)
"I can't remember" I giggled
Adrian loved my quip and mumsie would have too... had she been there!
She always shakes her head when I banter with poor assistants.
"Just love making ordinary people laugh". I say, dragging the old bean out of the shop.
But no dragging of the elderly this afternoon, mores the pity, instead I darted in and out of the shops and crowds without my best girl.

Back at the flat, a surprisingly long conversation with dad about films, annoying ad breaks and the bastard bias of the BBC.
He's eloquent, articulate and never wants to stop, a bit like me! And when mumsie woke from her nap she asked us what we'd been doing.
"Having a great chat about things, weren't we Ang?"
"Yep, I love listening to you....."

And so the afternoon went on....Noel Edmunds with the sound muted (?) The Weakest Link, with a very dismissive dad asking how any of these people manage to hold down jobs........
Mumsie, removed her clothes in favour of a pink dressing gown and erected a pile of mags and papers ready for a good read tonight.
Me, warmed to explosive level but happy and giddy with the deepest love.

Had to get going and so, as I packed my hot body into a big old coat, mum cut herself another piece of cheesecake and dad handed me six oranges and two lamb escalopes.
It was a sublime moment, suddenly the night and future looked brighter.



P.S. On arriving home I popped into Sainsbury's Local and bought six reduced Kiwi fruits for 25p.
Now THAT'S a good ending!

4 comments:

NOF said...

What a delightful piece Gloria!!!
You' taken what could be an ordinary event - visiting your parents, having lunch and going shopping - and made it witty,
entertaining and lovely. The old dears in London must be so proud of you. Thanks

Terry said...

I cant believe you were so quiet even with your parents!

Gloria Horsehound said...

Thanks Nof.
The old dears think I'm alright:)

Gloria Horsehound said...

As usual Terry I have no idea what you're talking about!