Wednesday, 3 September 2008

I Don't Want Ronaldo

An Arab Sheik has bought Manchester City F.C. and apparently he wants to whisk Ronaldo away from Manchester United for about 130 million pounds.
Can't see Alex Ferguson allowing his star player to leave, after all it's Ronaldo who makes Man Utd what it is.
I get in such a flap when I hear about rich men buying glory and happiness usually in the form of buying people, castles, gems and yachts and it leaves me scratching my head wondering why they can't be satisfied with humdrum happiness...

Take me for instance.
I'm getting on a bit and admittedly when happiness does come along it tends to comes in spits and spurts and dribs and drabs and that's ok and I'm very grateful for it, but to me real happiness has nothing to do with bending the ears of Estate Agents, floating around posh boat shows or traipsing round Hatton Garden, no, I get my satisfaction in Poundland.
But it's not only cheap shops which make Glo glow.
It's a lot of other things too.

Things like:
Stockings/socks/tartan tights
Day trip to London/Southend/Paris
Receiving compliments/advice/cuddles
Good chocolate/Werther's toffees/Nobby's nuts
The X Factor/Radio4/The Weakest Link
Pies/Puddings/Pies
Good films/books/diaries
Birds/foxes/chimpanzees
Telly/Radio/Computer
Soul/Chopin/Eurovision Song Contest
Ceramic birds/little ladies/big bowls
Flouncy skirts/woollies/white blouses
Boots/stilettos/slippers
Pearls/silver/plastic beads
Snow/rain/sunshine

People:
Boo
Mum and dad
The Duchess
John Humphrys
Morgan Freeman
Boris Johnson
Digger
Monty, but only when he's not swinging from a lampshade

I could go on and it's made me wonder how I could ever feel sad...

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

I like your list Glo here's a few of mine
Teacakes
My Grandchildren, Sam and Briony
Portsmouth FC
Spring
Lanzarote
Dad's Army
Coronation Street

Anonymous said...

Gloria you're quite right. Not much can't beat simple pleasures.

Anonymous said...

Wow! I'm in the same list as your Mum and Dad and Mr. Freeman??? I feel soooo special:)

Your Duchess

ps: time for a chat soon, eh?

Digger said...

Crikey! My own personal mention in a happiness list. And adjacent to the inestimable Morgan Freeman and the excellent antidote to boring politicians Boris Johnson too. Talk about spreading a little happiness :o)

Gloria Horsehound said...

Talk soon Duch, possibly later today?
Off to London tomorrow sweetheart.

Gloria Horsehound said...

Boris John son isn't boring Digger!
And yes I am quite good at making people feel happy.

Digger said...

"Boris Johnson isn't boring Digger!"

Quite so. Which is why I referred to him as "the...ANTIDOTE to boring politicians"

Gloria Horsehound said...

I'm losing my marbles Digger, please bear with me as I watch them rolling away.