
Looks like another gloriass day weather wise!
And it looks set to last to at least Sunday, so I'm off out tonight vestless. Talking of foolhardyness I've put in the garden a scratched stained 1973 coffee table laden with peanuts, in the hope that my pigeons and other feathered babes will feast upon it and in so doing make me very happy. How selfish is that? But so far they've chosen to ignore it. But, as I've noticed before, it takes birds a while to get used to new thingymejigs in their territory, so being blessed with endless patience I'll have to wait...
Talking of patience...
I've waited a good while for good news on the poetry front. And yesterday I had some. My favourite poet Carol Ann Duffy has been made Poet Laureat. This weepingly talented woman should have had the job years ago, but according to rumours, she was denied it on account of her sexual persuasion.
I watched her being interviewed yesterday and I wished I could have had a few private moments with her. I'd have asked her how she feels when the birth pangs of a poem pound in her head and heart. And how it feels when she sees her completed work, her offspring, spread out, not on a bloodied blanket but on a dusty screen.
What I wouldn't give to meet her.
Anyway here's one of her poems, I carry it in my handbag.
To me it is a masterpiece.
"Some days although we cannot pray a prayer utters itself, so a woman will lift her head from the sieve of her hands and stare at the minims sung by a tree, a sudden gift.
Some nights although we are faithless the truth enters our hearts, that small familiar pain, then a man will stand stock still hearing his youth in the distant Latin chanting of a train. Pray for us.
Grade one piano scales console the lodger looking out across a Midlands town. Then dusk and someone calls a child's name as though they named their loss.
Darkness outside, inside the radios prayer. Rockall, Malin, Dogger, Finistere."
Carol Ann Duffy
So back to my stuff.
Snooker.
Bacon.
Snooker.
Rogan Josh.
Coffee and mint chocs
Late night Snooker.
Check bird's coffee table.
3 comments:
Yes I thought of you Gloria,when I heard about Carol Ann Duffy's appointment. I must look out for more of her poetry now. Sounds like you are out for a curry tonight. But your NOF is confined to the house - no not swine flu - but hay fever. Particularly bad this weekend and the only remedy is to sit quietly in a shady room, take aspirin and put chilled cucumber on your eyes!!! Oh and in between sneezes I'm painting the kitchen!!!
Painting the kitchen whilst sniffling? What at horrible thought! But I am pleased to hear you too rely cucumbers to ease your pains, I do too.
Yep orf out tonight Nof, am wondering what to wear, eat, drink and what time I'll be in bed. I don't do after nines very well, only After Eights!!!
Hope you feel better soon, gotta dash, much love to Mrs Nof.
Oh Gloria You are awful.....
atishoo atishoo.........
Post a Comment