Friday, 15 May 2009

Toms, Geraniums and The Gnome Man

After work I zoomed along to the garden centre where I bought two trailing Geraniums for the conical shaped basket that's hanging by my front door. Also bought a couple of girly pink plants for mum.
I like the Four Acres garden centre as it's very nearby, is surrounded by fields and has a dodgy blue caravan in the shell covered car park.
Inside, table upon table was laden with tiny plants most of which were priced at a pound or two, one tall elegant plant which caught my eye was a red Dahlia. I don't know much, in fact I don't know anything really about flowers, but this delicate flower with its profusion of unopened buds reminded me of something one might see in an old masters painting. It was very aristocratic and I was most impressed with it but as I was in homely mood I settled for the Geraniums, and I'm sure they'll make me happy me every time I stand on my doorstep.

So then I came home, put the plants in the conservatory and made a pot of tea. As I squinted at the sunlight I pondered the 17 tomato plants which are leaning on the walls and against the glass. Some of them were given to me yesterday by one of my neighbours, Mike, he has an allotment and spends a great deal of time doing things with trugs, sticks and plastic sheeting. He's a funny little chap, reminds me of a gnome, only he's taller. The other plants are the ones I bought from the fella with the ashtray for a cash register.
I love Essex.
On the menu tonight: Chinese Take-Away.

2 comments:

terry said...

Handbags, shoes and jugs what a combination

Gloria Horsehound said...

I'm a woman.