Tuesday, 2 November 2010

Glo Glows

I've gone thermometer crazy since finding a recipe for Gateau Moka aux Amandes. The thermometer is needed to make the creme beurre moka (coffee butter cream) I'll need to heat water and sugar together until a temperature of 107 degrees C is reached and then do a load of other culinary stuff before I can present my Gateau... Can't wait to get boiling:)

The pic in the Mary Berry book has made me lunge uncontrollably at the page resulting in the paper becoming wet and eaten. Gross. (Not really)
But oh what a Gateau it looks:)

Thermometers are not so easy to come by I'll have you know. Checked Argos, Waitrose, M&S, Wilkos and Debenhams but no thermo...So went 'old' and...
Ebayed them finding a few, but don't have the patience or strong heart to wait so have found a brand new one in a shop in beautiful far away Maldon so will order it online.

Another recipe I have to try is Chocolatines. These are made with a Genoese sponge and are a pain to make being so fiddly and time consuming but they must be excellent because they are sold in the finest French patisseries. Glo in her bungalow will have a go...

Mokatines are a variation of Chocolatines, being made with coffee and, depending how the Chocolatines turn out, I'll probably have a bash at those too.
What would Queen Victoria say? I mean I'll be dumping her sponge for something French...Disgusting.


Talking of Victoria, her delicate airy cake which I made yesterday, received many Ooohs and OMG's today so I was most pleased and most amused.
Nothing and I mean nothing brings more salivatoring smiles than CAKE.:) Salivatoring IS NOT a true word but as I'm in the word game I can make them up willy nilly.

Today's earlier pics are down to Mr H. His photographic genius at turning the ordinary into the sublime leaves me speechless.
No-one could make a wedge of cake or a middle aged woman look so appealing:)

Now I go to bed to dream of thermometers.
I kid you not;)

No comments: