Tuesday, 9 November 2010

This afternoon, after baking an apple and almond cake, I went out into the rain, slid into Alex and drove to Hockley.
Parked up in a bleak quiet car park.

Hockley was deserted save for a few older ladies in macs and two lads carrying a parcel of fish and chips. As I strolled I also clocked a stuck- up looking gentleman in a Merc yammering on his mobile, super cool he thought he was, but to me, such a dangerous wizened old twat.

My gait was slow because I didn't mind getting wet. The shop windows were glazed by incessant rain and the floor of the road shone like tacky black pvc but all looked beautiful to me.

On entering the first charity shop, Friends of Lions' I was met by no-one. Empty shop except for the Mrs on the till. A few heart warming words were passed about you know what then I looked around.
And then I saw a handbag...
This is good I thought. And as I struggled to disentangle it I knew it was good. Soft as butter stone coloured John Rocha (Designers at Debenhams) handbag with a cute handle.
Easing the lovely thing open I let my hands fondle its interior. Very tiny but oh so smooth. I was gasping.

So holding it close I went about greedily picking up a pair of matching candlesticks and a gorgeous grey and white skirt originally from Tesco's.

The Mrs on the money smiled at my goodies, took about £3, and bade me farewell.

Feeling on top of the moon I sloshed my way to the next one.
Wherein I bought, for a pittance, a larger than normal beehive honeypot. Again verbal exchanges regarding the rain.

I then splashed to the car and roared home to play with my trinkets:)


Being cooked tonight...
Tuna fishcakes with added anchovy sauce, lemon rind and juice and plenty of parsley. I'll gently fry them in a little oil till they are browned and crisp and sightly bulging at the sides. Mashed potatoes and a flurry of mixed veg will accompany.
Pud of course, the apple and almond cake I made earlier, no ice cream though because last night I left the blasted tub on top of a pile of old newspapers when I was digging deep for ice cubes!

No comments: